The South African retail food market is highly concentrated among the five largest companies, including Shoprite Holdings Ltd, Pick n Pay Retailers Pty Ltd, Spar Group Ltd, Massmart (Walmart-owned), and Woolworths Holdings Ltd. Together, they account for about 80 percent of all retail sales, with the remaining 20 percent largely coming from the informal retail sector. In 2022, South African retail food sales amounted to $38 billion. South African imports of consumer-oriented agricultural products totaled $3.2 billion in 2022, up from $3.1 billion in 2021. Retail trade sales represent close to 20 percent of South Africa’s GDP. Key trends in the South African retail foods sector include continued growth in e-commerce and home delivery services, sustained demand for healthier offerings in the fresh food and wellness niches, increasing interest in plant-based and meat-alternative products, and growing consumer demand for halal offerings.

Read Report Here

Share This Post

More To Explore